Burn Permit Questions

Who opens/closes burning?

  • Burning is opened/closed at the discretion of the Fire Chief.

 What is open burning and what can be burned?

  • Open burning allows residents of Pahrump to burn their natural waste vegetation; leaves, grass clippings, garden residue, tree trimmings, chipped shrubbery, and other vegetative material. Burning is seasonal and only to be conducted by the owner of the property or by an adult with permission from the owner.  

 What type of materials are NOT permitted to burn?

  • Any kind of garbage or household trash.  Meaning paper goods, cardboard, food waste, animal waste, plastic products, Styrofoam, fiberglass, construction debris, appliances, tires, clothing, furniture, mattresses, materials containing asbestos, etc.
  • Open burning of biological waste, hazardous waste, asbestos-containing materials, mercury-containing devices, pharmaceuticals, tires, rubber material, residual oil, used oil, asphalt, roofing material, tar, treated wood, plastics, garbage, or trash is strictly prohibited.

 Why can’t you burn household trash or any of the listed above?

  • Burning of household trash releases dangerous compounds including arsenic, carbon monoxide, benzene, styrene, formaldehyde, lead, hydrogen cyanide and dioxin, among others.

 Where do I go to find burning permit applications?

  • Burn permit application can be obtained at Pahrump Fire Station 1, located at 300 N Highway 160, or at the bottom of this page.   The owner of the property must be present with a valid ID and copy of a Liability Insurance Policy.  If the owner lives out of State or cannot make it, we do accept a Notarized Letter from the Owner, stating they are giving you permission to obtain a permit and burn on their property.  The letter needs to include the insurance information and provide a copy of insurance.

 Do I need a permit to have a camp fire in my backyard?

  • No permit is required for a recreational burn.  A temporary outdoor fire in which only logs or clean wood are being burned in an outdoor fireplace, chimenea, fire bowl or similar device, to be used for pleasure, religious ceremonial, cooking, warmth or similar purposes , and which is not used to dispose of garbage or waste vegetation.  Hours of recreational fires are between the hours of 10:00 am and 10:00 pm.  No recreational fires allowed on windy days (5mph or higher) or on days when the atmospheric conditions (cloudy, overcast or raining) would cause the smoke to remain low to the ground.  Recreational fires must be attended by any adult who must be watching the fire at all times.

 Is there a fee for burning permits?

  • No, there is no fee.

 How long is my burn permit good for?

  • Permits are good for as long as you own the property.

What if I was issued a burn permit, but lost it?

  • If your burn permit was issued prior to December 2020, you will need to reapply for your permit. The burn software previously used by PVFR was old and outdated, and unable to convert to the newer system software.

 What if I own more than 1 pieces of property in Pahrump, do I need more than 1 permit?

  • One permit is good for any property you own.  You must maintain the insurance policy.

 Can a renter get a burn permit?

  • A permit cannot be issued to anyone other than the property owner.  Once issued to the owner, they can give their renter permission, by giving them the permit number, to burn on their property.  The Fire Department cannot give permit information to anyone other than the owner of the property.

 What if I live in an area with an HOA/Association?

  • A permit cannot be issued without authorization. You will need to speak with the association and get a letter to of authorization to get a burn permit for your property.

 When does burn season open/close?

  • Burn Season is weather dependent, when our Valley reaches 90 degrees consistently PVFR will enforce the Burn Moratorium, when we are less than 90 degrees PVFR will open burn season.  Historically burn season is open from late October to mid-May.  

 What hours am I allowed to burn?

  • Burn hours are 8am-4pm Monday – Friday, 8am-12pm Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting).  (Remember, a fire that is smoking is not out and will be a violation.)

 Who should I call to report an illegal open fire?

  • Call 9-1-1

PVFR Burn Permit Application